May 2, 2012

NES Baseball Stars Cartridge

Ah, Baseball Stars, how do I love ye? Let me count the ways. All those years wasted playing RBI Baseball...until I was introduced to Baseball Stars in, of all places, college. We ended up having a pretty sophisticated Baseball Stars league between all the dudes on our dorm floor: celebrating after each victory; licking our wounds after each loss. This was, of course, after we kicked all of the ladies out for the night and finished playing quarters, beer pong, and/or [insert drinking game here]. Next to NCAA Football on the PlayStation and NHL '98 on the Sega, Baseball Stars was probably the game I played the most during the "best years of my life". OK, so I played a lot of Quake on the computer as well, but that was solo play, if you don't count playing online with other players and being in a clan (Low Ping Boozers forever!). Baseball Stars was unlike all of the other baseball games in terms of look and feel, then came the value-added extras that enabled said dorm floor to bond over something else besides studying moderately hard. How the cartridge battery was still able to retain data after 10 years was pretty much a miracle to me; I should have wrote my thesis on how the power problem could be solved using old NES game batteries. Thus, we didn't even need to use the original, somewhat silly teams since we could create our own, thereby leveling the playing field. On top of that was the ability to make player moves and track the most amazing stats until the ladies came back in the morning. This game was just light-years ahead of the competition and is as close as it comes to the perfect sports game. The sequel can best described as the Ghostbusters II of the gaming world: really no reason for them to exist in this world or another. Nevertheless, the varnish is too strong on the original to be tarnished by any association with sub-par second acts. Thank you, Baseball Stars, lowering my GPA and teaching me what is important in this world.
baseball stars NES cartridge