June 22, 2012

Refrigerator/Freezer Water Filter

I never used a Brita if I didn't have to, but when we bought this fridge, it had the water filter in it and now I am forever thinking it needs to be changed and that my children are being poisoned. At lest it doesn't have an indicator on it, and I thought they sold a bypass. However, it keeps dispensing water no matter how old it is. The filter is rated for only 300 gallons which is gone in the blink of an eye if you like drinking water. I think they average around $40. Is filtration really needed, I mean except for areas with high lead concentration? The United States water system has been hailed as an engineering marvel, and everyone is filtering his or her water or using bottled water that usually comes from a tap anyhow. Pardon me while I go change my filter.
GE smartwater filter