November 19, 2012

Busy Signal Music Notation

I love when blogs haven't posted in several days or months or years, and the blogger comes back with a line that basically goes like this: "Sorry I haven't posted in awhile. Been really busy. Doing good, but busy!" Lame. The more I thought about it, there is no good visual representation of when someone is busy. A Google image search doesn't give much. What about a busy signal that you used to get on a phone when someone was on the other line. This is quickly becoming a thing of the past with voice mail and call waiting. A Google image search for "busy signal" brings up a rapper I never heard of (not pictured in the best rap collage ever). Thus, it was my mission to graphically capture the busy signal. I tried doing it on a plot, with hertz on the y-axis and time on the x-axis, since the signal in the US is 480 hz and 620 hz for 0.5 seconds with 0.5 seconds off. It didn't look right. How about musical notation! After some research on the notes for 480 and 620 hz, I think I accurately captured it, even including the repeat at the end. This should be now be the universal symbol for being "busy." Use it on all of your applicable materials. I await universal adulation.
music for busy signal b and d sharp played repeatedly