May 3, 2012

3.5" Diskette

Ah, the 3.5 inch diskette, I can't believe these aren't in widespread use anymore. Why did I like them so much? Well, obviously you couldn't store much data on them, so you weren't as wanton as some people are today, throwing around gigabyte files, killing productivity. 1.44 megabyte is all you were gonna get, usually a little less with buffers and stuff that I have no idea what I am talking about. I used to drive the better half crazy calling the part on the computer that read these the "A:" drive; I dare someone to find me a computer where the 3.5" floppy was not assigned to drive letter A! The absolute best feature: the little tab on the upper right is a lock tab; slide it into place and the disk cannot be written, just read. Couldn't do that with CDs that were the mainstay for a decade. Plus, very little chance of scratching with that cool little metal sliding thingy, whereas CDs would get scratched to the bejesus. Yes, no a days we have cool stick drives (that have gone overboard with Angry Birds themes) that can sometimes encrypt data and protect files. But give me my 3.5 disk collection any day of the week.
3.5 inch computer diskette external storage circa 1990s